Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mommy School Days: Matching Letters

This Mommy School Days was from last week, but I am a bit behind on blogging. I saw part of this idea on the internet...I apologize, I can't find the link. I went further with the idea by making it a "board game". I Google searched for a blank board game, and conveniently, I found one with 26 spaces. It was perfect for our alphabet Lightning McQueen racing game. I found some Lightning McQueen pictures, as well as a finish racing flag to add to our game board, and the basics were down. We just used one of Bug's Lightning McQueen Drifter characters for a game piece. I laminated the game board, and then wrote all the letters (this time not in correct order) with a dry erase marker.
The idea that I know I saw on the internet somewhere was the part where we matched uppercase letters to lowercase letters by putting wheels on a paper car. I found a Lightning McQueen profile image and cut it out, leaving the wheels off. In a Word Document, I cropped the wheels from the car image and pasted it 52 times. On each wheel, one of the 26 letters was typed on it, in both uppercase and lowercase. I cut them out and again, I laminated them so we could use this game again. The next part of the game was to get Bug to give his car wheels, by finding the capital letter and it's corresponding little letter that the next game board space had written on it. When he matched it correctly, he would then be able to move forward onto that space. This is a video of one of Bug's turns.
 
Bug did really well with this, and we added sound effects each time he correctly matched the letters...this just created some more fun for the learning game. At the end of the game, he got a little prize, which consisted of some Lightning McQueen coloring pages, stickers and notebook (from Dollarama).
The after part of the game gave us another hour of enjoyment, where he coloured Mater, Lightning McQueen and decorated them with the little stickers. All in all, this cost me about $5, and Bug enjoyed it immensely!

Word Document Link for Post

No comments:

Post a Comment