Thursday, October 3, 2013

Mommy School Days: Doctor Bug and Learning 911

So this past week, I've been talking to Bug about how our weekly activities were now going to be indoors. I told him that Camp Mommy was over for the year, as it's too cold to be outside but he can name our new fun day. He called it Mommy School Days, which is perfect because while we are inside, I really want to focus on learning and activities that remind him of school (as my little Big Boy is now a preschooler).

On our first Mommy School Day, we utilized the ultra cute scrubs and stethoscope I purchased for Bug a while ago. It was definitely an unnecessary purchase, and one you wouldn't have to buy in order to make this activity come to life. I just couldn't talk myself out of buying these for him, as Mommy has her own pair(s) too for work. He was pretty excited to be dressed like Mommy and he asked if we were going to go see my working friends (that's what he calls it when I go to work).
From Dollarama, I purchased a roll of brown craft paper. It is something you can purchase from Staples as well. I cut out a piece long enough for Bug's body, and then taped the edges to the floor. Then I got Bug to lay on it, and I traced his body. This was quite humorous as Bug kept saying I was tickling him. After I gave Bug a marker and we went through all the parts of the body, labelling them appropriately, giving Bug lots of writing practice. He is getting so good at writing...I'm so proud of him! His (kind of) creepy body tracing is hanging in his room right now, and he keeps talking about it. We will do this again in the future, but start talking about organs. I'm one proud Respiratory Therapist mommy as my Bug already knows about lungs, what they do and where they are in the body.
To complete our Doctor imaginative play, I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce the idea of what to do if there was an emergency at home, especially with Mommy or Daddy. We spoke about 911 and then got his toy Ambulance, as well as some of his little toy people to play out scenarios. Bug really enjoyed this, especially when he got to pretend one of his characters fell down out of the blue and he needed the ambulance. I gave him the actual phone so that if he ever had to call 911, he would know how to do it on the real cordless. I was very diligent with hitting end call before it even connected, but I wanted Bug to know that in order to call 911, he would have to hit the big Talk button on our cordless. Here is a link to a video of our 911 scenario.
We finished off our day with cuddles in Bug's bed, with his best Stuffed buddy Dreyfus (an adorable, fluffy dog). He took his play stethoscope, and listened to my heart (which apparently wasn't beating) and then to Dreyfus' chest, who had a heart beat...oh dear! haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment