Friday, October 18, 2013

The Beauty of Us Created by Our Characteristics and Influences

Before I get into the craft that we made about a week ago, I started a Facebook group where I will be posting when a new post has been uploaded. I will also post a Word Document version for the Mommies out there who have wanted me to provide an easy printable version to store for later activities with their little ones. CLICK HERE for the link.

Now, back to our craft activity. I am constantly trying to teach Bug about the differences between individuals, and how we should always be accepting of everyone's unique traits. I'm also encouraging Bug to look at everyone with the acknowledgement that everyone is beautifully shaped by their different characteristics and influences in their lives.

I made 7 toothpick flags of characteristics that can be different among individuals. They were looks, family life, obstacles people face, individual abilities, beliefs, culture and friends. We spoke about each one and I gave Bug some examples of each to explain how these can affect who we are and who we become. I told him that all of these combined create unique people, who are wonderful and beautiful individuals; and how even if some things aren't the same in Bug's life, it doesn't change the importance of each person.
After those were made, I took a pie baking dish that was lightly greased and got Bug to pour in white glue (I bought a 3 pack of small glue bottles from Dollarama for $1 and we poured all 3 in).
Once all the glue was in the dish, Bug then proceeded to drip coloured paint into the pan.
Once the template for our art project was done, we took our toothpick characteristics and got to work. He would choose a flag, and I would quickly explain again what each one meant (these examples included simple things like the colour of the person's hair or skin, to someone who is blind or missing a limb, to kids who wear cultural attire and even kids who live with only one parent). Then he would dip the tip of the toothpick into the glue concoction and start swirling it around.
We weren't done until we worked through each of our flags. This was the final piece when we were done with the swirling.
After, I set it aside and let it dry. This took days to dry. The glue started lifting up around the edges when it was really starting to dry and before I peeled it all the way out, the glue become almost translucent. Once you could peel the whole piece out, it was still pretty soft so I let it lay flat for a couple of more days out of the pan. When it was completely dry, you could hold it up by the edge and it didn't fold in on itself. Which is the point I wanted it to be at as we made a wall ornament out of it. I am a perfectionist, so after it was 100% dry, I cut away the rough edges. I then hole punched it and put a ribbon through it to hang it on our wall. Bug loved how it morphed into something solid he could hold.
We made a few of them, just to show Bug that everyone was different but equally beautiful. This is the one he wanted to put on display in our house.


Word Document Link for Post

No comments:

Post a Comment