Monday, August 19, 2013

Beauty of Being Different: Rock Painting

This VDV mommy and Bug had a craft day the other day. I decided to add a little twist, trying to teach my eldest about embracing yours and others differences. He will be starting preschool in the fall, and I really wanted to start introducing him to all the variety of traits that make people unique. Teach him to embrace a person's individuality, and that because someone may look, speak, dress, etc differently than him, a beauty is created that shouldn't be ignored or tampered with. I want to teach him tolerance and acceptance; hopefully carrying over his loveable and accepting toddler character into the young man I hope he will become.

A few weeks ago, we went rock hunting. He absolutely loves when we go on the pursuit for items we will use in our Camp Mommy adventures...he has sort of gone a little bit overboard with this excitement, asking for anything he WANTS to be used in Camp Mommy! haha...always constantly learning and teaching the little men in my life! I knew I wanted to do this craft, so one day we just headed out to a gravel alley way, and perused through the loose rocks, looking for some nice flat ones. It's funny how such a basic activity created such enthusiasm and excitement for Bug.
The day that I decided to do this craft, I collected 6 different colours of paints from my craft supplies (I chose all bright colours so that the rocks will stand out). I used paper towel as our tray for the paint so it was easy clean up and it help aide with the project. I got Bug to drizzle each color on one end of the paper towel. While doing this, we spoke about how the paints were different traits of people (anything from skin colour, race, accent, (dis)abilities, etc.), and how when all are combined we get a wonderfully unique individual.
Once all six colors were drizzled onto the paper towel, Bug would place a rock into the pool of paint.
At this point, we would fold the other half of the paper towel over the rock. Bug helped me with this step, but for little hands, it requires more adult coordination. I held the paper towel against the rock, and then flipped it over so that the painted side was now on top. This allowed for Bug to pull the paper towel back and leave a very cool mosaic pattern on the rocks.
After they dried for a few minutes, I took a cheap spatula and scooped up the rock, ensuring the top isn't touched and placed it on a tray to fully dry. When the paint was all dry, I used a water sealant spray to help the colours shine, as well as to protect the rocks from the weather. We have a very special Gramma who has a rock garden; this will end up being a perfect gift for her.
After they were all dry, I got Bug to talk about what made each one of them uniquely beautiful. His answers were mostly about picking out the prominent colours; but we spoke about how they were all rocks, and that their differences made them beautiful...just like human beings!

Word Document Link for Post

No comments:

Post a Comment