Sunday, August 25, 2013

Camp Mommy: Teddy Bear Picnic with our Very Own Bear!

For Camp Mommy this week, I wanted to try and gear our activity around our littlest boy, Bear. He doesn't get to participate much with our activities, usually just stuffing his face while he observes his big brother playing. So what better activity than to have a teddy bear picnic with our youngest boy, paying homage to his beloved nickname.

Bug got a crazy fort package for Christmas 2012; so I figured this would be a perfect time to put it to extra use. I set up a little fort structure outside while Bear was napping, setting some blankets down and bringing out some of our special Bear friends.
The lunch I had planned was also themed around our Camp Mommy activity. I cut off the crust of a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich (I pulled out the big guns on this lunch), leaving the bread in the shape of a circle. I cut off three slices of bananas, 1 for the nose and the other for the ears. I got a little extra artsy and used a knife to slice lines into the nose banana to create a bear mouth. Then I used Glosette raisins for the bear eyes and actual nose. For Bear's lunch, as he's still eating finger foods, I chopped up his sandwich into little squares and then just shaped them into a circle on the plate to start the bear face. To top off our lunch, we had some Teddy Grahams and a Bear Paw cookie. Definitely a high calorie lunch, but really delicious and extra special for our little Bears.
Bug loved his Bear-wich!
Once our little Bear was awake from his morning nap, we took the festivities outside and sat in the Fort, eating our yummy lunches. This was an extra special Camp Mommy because Daddy was home to join in on the fun too! Unfortunately with my shift work, and Daddy VDV working his work schedule around my days off, we get limited time we all get to spend together as a family. This day provided us with some VDV four cuddles!

Our Bear is a funny little guy. He's on the small size (3rd percentile) for his age. He isn't skinny...just petite. But you would be surprised at how small he is if you ever saw how much this kid can pack away. He eats more than Bug, and probably me. He actually rivals his Daddy's appetite, so I'm sure our grocery bill in the future is going to be insane, requiring us to get a second mortgage. When Bear's food is running out, he gets a little growly. That's not how he got his nickname, but it's suiting nonetheless.
After all the munching was done, we cuddled with our teddies and read some bear books. Our three books were "Big Bear Hug" by Nicholas Oldland, "Where's My Teddy?" by Jez Alborough, and "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury. Bug loves reading and having us read to him, so the books were well received. Especially the last one; and if read in animation (like I often do), the book has a life of its own that Bug just fell right into.  "Big Bear Hug" is a cute book with an underlying message of loving one another, but more importantly protecting our trees. And "Where's My Teddy?" was just a plain cute rhyming book of a little boy losing his teddy but finding an enormous one in return; which actually belonged to a big bear.
A regular family participant also came to this event. It is Bug's favourite (stuffed) buddy, his dog Dreyfus. I told Bug that he wasn't a bear, but he said that Dreyfus was family so he had to come. Can't really dispute that reasoning, now can we?!
After the food and stories were done, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing outside. Bug played with his bear friends, and Bear crawled around in the grass, just exploring. I'd say my beautiful boys had a wonderful afternoon!
And look at those messy cheeks that accompanied his adorable grin!

No comments:

Post a Comment