Saturday, November 9, 2013

Halloween Party

I'm a bit behind on my blogging, but the VDV four have recently suffered from the dreaded Rotavirus. And it happened the day after our Halloween Party I organized for the boys and their friends. Thankful it didn't ruin our fun, but it has definitely taken it's toll. So this is a blog post about our Halloween Party.

I started out with the plan of October to have some fun-filled craft days where Bug got to make some items that would be on display for our party. We made bats out of egg cartons (cut them so that there are three egg holders attached - you get 4 bats from a package for a dozen eggs). Bug proceeded to paint them black, and I helped him put googly eyes and construction paper ears on our flying friends with a hot glue gun. I took fishing line to hang them from our dining room fan. Another craft we did was making a spider picture with his hand prints. I quickly drew a web on some white paper, and then painted Bug's hands (minus the thumbs) with black paint. I overlapped the hand prints so his palms were the body and his 8 fingers were the legs. Then I got him to choose out as many googly eyes as he'd like and we glued them in place. Our third craft was hand print painting, but done a bit differently. I made him make a fist, then painted the exposed part of his fingers orange. Then he placed the painted portion on some black paper, making little pumpkins. Super cute!
I had yet to decorate our house for Halloween in the past years, but because of our Halloween party this year, I decided to have some fun. I bought a package of spider webs and decked out many picture frames around our house. Bug loved finding these webs with the little black spiders. I made some pumpkin lanterns by blowing up water balloons, and using cut up pieces of orange tissue paper and mod podge. I believe I put 5 layers of tissue paper, and once the orange was complete, I mod podge little faces cut out from black tissue paper. I put battery operated tea lights in them to give them a pumpkin glow! And you can't have a Halloween mantle without a Halloween banner.
I used black electrical tape and made webs on the window. I blew up a balloon and used black streamers for the legs of a spider on the web. I cut out a spiral ghost from bristle board, hanging it from the ceiling with fishing line and made a weighted sock to attach to the bottom to stretch out the spiral. Instead of a piƱata, I blew up a bunch of balloons with goodies inside, and let the kids each pop one. Bug has a bowling set, so we brought that out, with white fabric draped over each pin to have ghost bowling. I made a "Pin the Grin on the Pumpkin" poster, and a monster toss. 

I wrapped juice boxes in gauze, to make Mummy Drinks and I made toothpick witch feet to stick into our Sand-Witches. Some of the serving plates were made into spiders by gluing card stock legs and googly eyes. I got some rubber gloves and filled them with popcorn and chocolate for a silly hand snack bag. Big lollipops were decorated with black pipe cleaners and googly eyes to make spider pops. And I bought a bunch of necklace glowsticks from Dollarama (10 for $2) for each kid, as "a little light for their Halloween night".
I loved doing this for the kids. It was a busy, hectic party with a bunch of youngsters running around. But they were so cute in their Halloween costumes. Bug had a blast and for about a week after the party, he asked about having another one each day. These are my little goobers all decked out in their Halloween gear.

Aren't they adorable?!

No comments:

Post a Comment