Thursday, November 14, 2013

Leaf Print Magnets

Last week, we did another craft that is being turned into little Christmas gifts. The winter here is always fluctuating in temperatures, so on a walk home one day, we found a bunch of big leaves that were still moist due to the recent snow melt. We picked out a few good ones for our craft and headed home. I wanted to do this with Bug in Fall 2014, but this was just prime opportunity...perfect leaves and right before Christmas.

I had purchased some Sculpey clay from Michaels awhile ago when it was on sale, in anticipation of this craft (I originally wanted to do it his fall). I also wanted to add a little sparkle to our leaf magnets, so, with the 40% coupon from Michaels, I bought some gold glitter. Since I'm a crafty person, I already had the sculpey rolling pin; however, you can easily buy a kitchen one from a dollar store that would still work perfectly. I just used our own cookie cutters to cut the shapes. And the magnets were from Dollarama...cheap cheap craft!

I got bug to roll out the Sculpey clay until it was 1/4 of an inch in depth. Then I got him to sprinkle some glitter on the top, before he laid the leaf over our flattened clay to roll out the imprint. Once the leaf was imprinted into the clay, I gave Bug the cookie cutter to cut out our shape. We had 4 different colours, and once there wasn't enough of each colour to make another cut out, we started combining the colours. The marbled ones were my favourite and if we are going to do this again, I think we will just go straight to the multi-coloured ones.
To harden them, I just followed the baking directions on the package. I kept a pretty close eye on them, as I never know how my oven will cook new things. Once they were hardened and cool, I used my glue gun to attach the magnets. Bug thought they were awesome, and then he picked out each one he wanted to give to his loved ones! I have to say, he really does love giving gifts that he has made.

Aren't they pretty?!

Word Document Link for Post

No comments:

Post a Comment