Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Camp Mommy: Super Hero Rescue

This week's Camp Mommy was planned for my first day off as we had some very special family visitors coming into town, and we would most likely not get the chance to roll out this fun day before I had to go back to work. So, whether rain or shine, this day was happening. Unfortunately, raining it was...but our fun still occurred. We just waited until the pouring had stopped, and we didn't let the wetness get us down.

In preparation for this day, I collected all of Bug's Super Hero characters and took some pictures of them. I printed them off and then laminated the images. These were our templates for the puzzles Bug would have to do in order to save the corresponding Super Hero. The puzzles I wrote with a dry erase marker on the back of the cards were:
  1. Count as high as you can go.
  2. Out of a scramble of numbers on the card, Bug had to show me which one was the number 5.
  3. Sing the ABCs
  4. Jump up 4 times
  5. I drew a bunch of different shapes on the back of one, among them were many circles. Bug had to count only the circles.
  6. What day comes after Monday?
I then took our Super Heroes outside, and put the 6 of them in precarious situations. I laid the card down beside the toy and then went inside to get my Super Hero ready.
I had previously made a nephew of mine a Super Hero cape and mask for Christmas. I had one cut out for Bug, but never got around to completing it. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to complete a never ending craft project of mine. So my Bug became Super Bug!

Before we went on our rescue mission, Bug ran around the yard, watching his cape fly behind him. He spend about 10 minutes getting into character.
Look at my cute, cheeky little guy!
Once he was in character, our imaginative and learning play started. I would make silly siren noises to inform us a new Super Hero needed to be rescued, and Bug would go searching for one of our stranded friends.
Bug would complete the task to save his Super Buddy, and then safely bring them to the Rescue Center (our steps by the door).
We could have probably continued playing for longer, I would just get Bug to wait or run around jumping and "flying" while I re-hid the Super Heroes and changed the puzzles; however, the rain started coming down again so we had to take our day inside. This turned out okay as I had found a cheap Super Hero Squad DVD among my shopping travels a few weeks ago and saved it for this day.
At this point, Bear was awake from his nap, so the boys got some new Super Hero stuffies, and cuddled up on the couch to keep the chill away from this fall day, watching our Super Heroes in action.

This will definitely be an activity we bring back in the future...especially when I can make a Super Hero cape for Bear. I joked with my husband that I was going to make all of us one and take a family picture next summer in our VDV Four Super Hero get up. I have a feeling I'm going to make that happen! Hehe.

Word Document Link for Post


No comments:

Post a Comment