Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Camp (travelling) Mommy: Neighbourhood Scavenger Hunt

This week's Camp Mommy was extremely cheap; however, some preparation was needed. The VDV four went on a mini vacation to the Great Canadian North to celebrate a very important, surprise 50th birthday party. I didn't take any time off work, so our vacation was limited to the 4 days off I have every set. With my whole time off work being occupied with our travelling and family visiting, we wouldn't arrive back in Calgary in time to do Camp Mommy before I started back to work for my set on. So, I looked at the list (yes I have a list of all the activities I'd like to do with the boys this summer), and chose one of the easiest ideas to plan for our excursion up north. I had to do some research with family in the small town we were visiting, as I live in a large city so anything I put on the list, I'm sure we can easily find here. This town we were going to though, has a population of about 1200 people and obviously isn't structurally built like a big city. So, I came up with a list of items we could go searching for throughout the town, and double checked with our family up there to make sure these items could be found by my four year old's eyes. Then I printed off a list and packed it in our suitcase. Bug loves searching for things, so this was another big hit. He also loves lists and anything that resembles a booklet of instructions, so he held onto his folded checklist and referenced to it many times during our hunt.
This was also a great way to explore the new town we were visiting. It got Bug out of the house, searching for items and getting exercise. He would run up to something he remembered seeing on the list...which ended up making this somewhat of a memory game too!
I couldn't not do Camp Mommy this week...Bug asks for our fun weekly activity all the time, and I didn't want the fact that we were travelling to be an excuse not to do it. Even though I think he probably wouldn't have minded as we were busy with family events and parties, it was nice to bring a little bit of our normal routine from home. Plus, it brings a huge smile to my face when I see the reaction the words, "it's time for Camp Mommy" elicit from my goofy boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment