Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Perfect Day

Exactly what the title of this post indicates, us VDV 3 (Daddy was at work today) had one of those perfect days that make being a parent worth every hardship and struggle. It started out with our Camp Mommy activity, and simply progressed into this wonderful mesh of fun, cuddles and family time.

Bug, our almost 4 year old is the fun, exuberant, spastic child. He will always hold that special place in my heart for teaching me and showing me how much and how instantaneously one loves their child. Bug is the little boy who already is a class clown (which I’m sure will be the root of many parent teacher interviews in our future), laughing and giggling so easily and frequently. With the ease he is able to be happy and fun loving, also comes the sensitivity and quick to anger and frustration of being a highly emotional person. He currently is our frustrating child. I love him to the moon and back, but he wears his emotions on his sleeve…this is so fascinating, but in the next breath, it becomes completely overwhelming. He literally is scared of everything…and that is no joke. Many can attest to that. I bought my husband this A-MA-ZING Michael Jordan phone for Christmas a couple of years ago. Our basement is the man cave, and it fit perfectly with his sports theme. I wish I could post a video of Bug reacting to this incredible sport memorabilia, but I’m sure it would be borderline child abuse…I’d probably hear from social services. When it goes off, he literally screams, bawls and runs out of the room. Here is a video of the phone in action, which currently is the only means of us viewing how spectacular this is. It sits in our basement, unplugged, unused and even when our home phone does ring, Bug still runs to close the door between our upstairs and downstairs…you know, incase it comes chasing after him or something. In all reality, our child doesn't even like going in the basement anymore. With any mention of us going down there, Bug starts whining and shaking…seriously, I fear he’s on the verge of having a cardiac event! He also at times gets so frustrated; unreasonably so. I realize this is just a phase, and every child goes through learning about emotions and behaviours that accompany those feelings; but sometimes it’s the silliest yet most irritating thing to deal with. The other day his toy was “misbehaving”…he has played with it numerous times in the past and had no problem working through the toy’s mechanics…but this day, he just didn't have the patience. You could just hear him huffing and puffing, punishing this toy for not transforming. It would simply be humorous if he didn't have a complete meltdown when his lack of patience got too much to handle. I’d like to say this is all related to his age; but deep down I know it is an indirect result of my behaviour. My eldest is so much like me, from looks to goofiness to dramatics. I can’t find something, and I huff and puff, stomping around like I’m 3. Chores aren't done, so I do them, but not without adding a flair of the dramatics…haha…I know, I know, maybe I need a time out chair too. But this is where my eldest teaches me things about myself. Sometimes I feel like he teaches me more than I do for him. He so openly shows love; he’s our little love bug. I can’t even count how many times in the day he says “Mama, I just love you”, or stopping in the middle of his play, coming for a hug and kiss. He loves his little brother so much too, always wanting to get him to giggle, and giving him as much affection as Bear allows him to give. Bug is funny and goofy; the reason for many of our laughs throughout the day.

Bear, our youngest who just turned 1, is our happy but quiet and content little man. I always joke that he’s going to be the mastermind behind the crazy ideas and behaviours I’m sure we will encounter in the boys’ preteen and teen years…and Bug will be the idiot to do them! Ha! Bear rarely wakes up crying; you just hear him romping around in his crib, babbling to himself. He sleeps 12 to 14 hours straight at night; I’m sure there are many who will hate me now after reading that statement. I’m not saying he’s always easy; but he has made having a second child so carefree and adaptable. The problem that arises with a great baby though, is when he isn't so great. When he cries for reasons you can’t decipher or when he actually gives us a hard time going to bed, something I think I can count on 1 hand how many times he wouldn't go to sleep easily. Bear was sleep trained, I’m sure from 1 month of age. I don’t know how it came so easily or if it was something we actually did. He just slept, and slept a lot. So when he’s up most of the night, or freaking out when we put him down, it’s almost more overwhelming than if he was like that more frequently. We aren't used to dealing with him when he’s finicky; so when those moments happen, it’s like we are new parents again, trying to get a handle on things while maintaining some semblance of sanity. The one behaviour that Bear is consistent with though comes right around the time we are almost done feeding him. As soon as you start scraping the sides of the bowl, he can’t handle it and has a little meltdown because his food is almost done. This child is the 3rd percentile for his weight, which is shocking considering the amount of food we feed him. You know the reusable Ziploc or Glad Tupperware containers…ya, he can easily eat half of the average sized one in one sitting, and still pack away more food if given to him. I can’t even begin to comprehend our grocery bill when the boys are teenagers; my husband already eats like a growing boy (and he is a bottomless pit just like Bear). In just a few years, my grocery bill will probably double, if not triple!! With all that being said, Bear is teaching me how to be a better parent; to embrace every little moment (good and bad) because it goes by way too quickly. I live for his cute little grins and baby giggles, and my goal is to get as many of those out of him each day.

So, back to our perfect day today; today is why I love being a mom. There were so many fabulous moments, starting with the always anticipated morning hugs and kisses from Bug when he wakes up in the morning (always initiated by him). Our Camp Mommy activity went beautifully and Bug played Pirate for HOURS after it ended. He shared his pirate loot with us (an act we rarely have to encourage him to do). Daddy then went to work; but Mommy got to get a beautiful picture with her little loves.
After our picture taking, we went on a wonderful bike ride. Bug was swerving and racing in his big boy bike, and Bear was babbling in his stroller. He recently said Mama for the first time, and today he repeated it for most of our stroll/bike ride…melts my heart every time. Bug continued his Pirate play with his pirate scope, checking for cars before we crossed the alley/street.
When we got home, we had to go grocery shopping. Our big stroller blew out a tire yesterday, so Bug had to walk the whole way. It’s not so much of him being able to walk the distance, but more the speed we could get it done in if he was in the stroller. But our broken double stroller was a blessing in disguise. While I was pushing Bear, Bug and I strolled slowly to the store, chatting about our neighbourhood, occasionally racing, got some sidewalk hugs and held hands. I never get tired of holding our boys little hands, and I’m getting in as many of those moments as I can. I know it will happen all too soon when it won’t be “cool” to show your mom affection.
Right before we arrived back home, we heard the Ice Cream truck. It is very rare for me to have change, but today I surprisingly did. I let Bug run up to the truck, and basked in the glory of seeing him get so excited over something I vividly remember from my childhood. So today, we were able to get Bug his very first ice cream from the Dicki Dee. After the Spiderman ice cream was placed in his hand, Bug waved to the ice cream man with the biggest grin on his face. On the remainder of our walk home, Bug said “the ice cream man gave me an ice cream, he was so very nice”. Of course he didn't get that I had to pay for that ice cream, but the gratitude and happiness he showed was so endearing.
Once we were at home, we got ready for a fire out back. We roasted hot dogs, made banana boats and cuddled near the heat of the flames. Bug, once again brought out his Pirate gear and went searching for treasure while Bear and I snuggled. That, in itself is why I plan and make sure we get our Camp Mommy days in; to watch Bug continue to get joy out of a successful activity I organized.
The night ended with some kisses to Bear, a bedtime story for Bug and like every night, Bug asking for one more hug and kiss after I already tucked him in. I tidied up our house with a big smile on my face, joy in my heart and excitement for my remaining days off with my boys. Many people without children worry about the sacrifices needed to be made in order to be a present parent. This day, though it doesn't seem completely out of the ordinary or special, is why I wake up in the morning; it is what I look forward to when I’m trying to get through my two 12 hour days and two 12 hour nights.  Of course I like Mommy VDV time, time with my husband and time with friends; but every sacrifice I have made is worth it all to see the smiles on my boys’ faces, the joy in their interactions with us, and the feeling of pure bliss I get when I know I've made their day special. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in my life; this is where I was meant to be…being a Mommy is my greatest blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment