Sunday, December 8, 2013

Kids Wood Christmas Tree

I'm a bit behind on posting on my blog...once again. But I love the holidays, and we have been busy starting December 1st. So I haven't had much extra time in front of the computer, which is the way I like it most of the time, but especially during the holidays.

This post is from my last set off in November, right before the beginning of our Advent Activities. What better way to end November than to do some Christmas crafts. For those of you who know me, it isn't a surprise that my Christmas tree is decorated in all penguins. This is great; however, when you have kids and you have craft days with them making Christmas ornaments, it becomes difficult on where to display them. Obviously it makes sense to put them on our tree; however, the penguins are so overwhelming that I didn't want their ornaments to get lost in the Christmas tree that barfed out penguins galore. So, thanks to my amazingly crafty mother, I asked her to make us this super cute wood Christmas tree that the kids could paint and then that would be the display place for their ornaments over the years. I gave Bug and Bear a paint brush and green paint...and let them at the tree.
When most of it was painted, I put a bunch of different shades of green on our painting plate, and showed Bug how to "sponge" the paint on with the paint brush so the tree ended up having a 3D look with multiple shades.
Bug really got into it and painted most of the tree. Bear stayed in his small little corner, but loved it just the same! He ended up with most of the paint on himself, and when Bug saw how funny Bear looked, Bug proceeded to paint his body. What goofs I have!
Then of course it was bath time!

The following day, Bug made a Christmas tree ornament with one of his friends that came to visit. I got them to paint 3 popsicle sticks green, and 1/3 of a popsicle stick brown. After, we chose a bunch of buttons from my stash and then I helped the boys use the hot glue gun to construct our popsicle stick tree!
Once our wood tree was dry, I sealed it with some water proof sealant (as I want this to last through the years). Then I unpacked some lights and all the ornaments Bug made previously, along with the new Christmas tree one and helped him decorate our craft tree! I loved how it turned out! I don't have many Christmas decorations, but I love how the things that the VDV four have made in previous and future Christmas' will add to our stock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment